UGM & Anna Ogden
The Union Gospel Mission has been meeting the needs of the poor and homeless in Spokane for over 60 years providing more than 6.5 million meals and 1.5 million nights of shelter. What began as a downtown soup kitchen in 1951 has expanded into a comprehensive ministry encompassing Rescue, Recovery, and Restoration; with three shelters, two thrift stores, an automotive enterprise and a summer camp for underpriviledged youth.
Each month there are specific item needs that arise at the UGM and one of the ways we are partnering with them is to try to help meet those needs.
How you can get involved:
Create “Love in a Bag”
- Put items and toiletries together in a Ziploc bag for the men and women staying at the shelters. Bags may include: nail clippers, disposable razors, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, shaving cream, lotion, fast food gift cards, coffee stand gift cards, cough drops, chewing gum, lifesavers, a written note of encouragement, hand warmers, combs, flashlight, playing cards, candy bars, bus passes, granola bars, tissue, floss, etc. (Please deliver to Union Gospel Mission Admin Office at 1224 E. Trent Ave)
Volunteer to serve a meal with UGM
Sort / Clean items at UGM Thrift Stores
- Contact Jaclyn Ferrell at (509)532-3856 for more information. No training required.
Wash cars at the UGM Motors car lot
- Contact Dave Wall at (509)532-3806 for more information. No training required.
- ‘Need Help’ cards with a granola bar and UGM card to hand out to the homeless on the street. This great resource to keep in your car, backpack, etc.
- Contact Kathi Plager at email@example.com to pick up your cards.
If you’re interested in volunteering in other ways at Union Gospel Mission, visit their website to fill out a volunteer application or call (509) 535-8510.